Here are some good questions / matters to consider before you define your strategy to test a product / software.
- What are the risks of hazards and safety measurements / limits
- What are the available resources and skills. Also consider human and time capitals.
- What is your test objective and is it clear enough for the test team.
- What are the regulatory aspects and does they change in any condition?
- What is the nature of the product and business? It also brings the questions of who is the product users?